Monday, August 08, 2011

Central Florida Gardening in the SUMMER

Dang!  It's HOT!  Been in the mid and upper 90's and it's not even the middle of August yet.  All the plants are looking tired, tired, tired.  One bright note today:  It's raining just now.  We have not had the regular daily afternoon rain, but today it rained for about 30 minutes this morning, and we just had another rain storm.  Thank you heavens!  The eggplants will be ever so happy for the drink.  I watered them yesterday, but I didn't even think of them this morning when I was out watering before starting the work day. 

Surprisingly, the coreopsis (which I thought was all done for the season) pushed a few more bright yellow blossoms out over the weekend.  The marigolds which are usually really starting their blooming about now look totally tuckered-out.  Even the usually perky impatiens are leggy and just tired looking.  The pentas that are out in one of the drier areas of the beds are not too robust looking. 

On the bright side (pun intended) the rudbeckia Cherokee Summer (I think) and Prairie Sun are just spectacular.  They don't appreciate lots of rain in the hot Central Florida summers, but since it has been a bit on the dry side in our area, they are putting on their late summer show. 

Oh, and the potatoes I started earlier this season did well in the pots where I planted them.  Tyler was so eager to eat them, I sent most of them home with him for his mom to cook up for dinner.  Not bad for those "free" potatoes!  They were fun.

No comments: