Tuesday, January 27, 2015

A Series of Small Things Makes a Garden

Great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together.
Vincent Van Gogh -

Ah, Vincent, truer words were never spoken. Just as the truly great gardens are not built in one day on a whim, my Central Florida garden has been a labor of love over the last 20+years with some years bearing more of a lasting imprint than others.

The last post was about my garden being a passion to which I’ve set my mind.
Now I have a passion to plant a salad bar and that’s totally do-able in My Central Florida garden at this time of year.

We’ve had quite a warm January with some days in the mid- and upper-80’s. Even in Central Florida those are temps you just don’t expect in the middle of winter.

But there are some growing things that will relish the cool temps, namely Salad Bar Stuff.

Those “stuffs” include all types of greens such as lettuce, spinach, onions, peas, sweet peas, you get the idea. Most of these seeds you can plant about anytime during the winter here in Florida since the ground doesn’t freeze, although right about now I’d love to see a heavy frost or even a short-duration hard-freeze to help kill off some of the weeds and unwanted bugs.

Fortunately, as of 1/27, our weather has turned cooler, so these fresh salad favorites should do well for my Central Florida Garden.

No comments: