Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Free Veggies in My Central Florida Garden

FREE Veggies in My Central Florida Garden

I like to buzz around on the ‘net looking for creative ways to grow things and save $$$ while I’m at it.

I came across some ideas that seem to be SO-O-O easy, I can’t believe I hadn’t read about them or thought of them myself before this!

Back in 2011 I planted just some generic white Idaho potatoes in the back yard.  You see, they had already sprouted in the pantry and had started to shrivel as I had been derelict (as I am occasionally know to be) in my duty to use before I lose (food, that is).

Well, they DID grow, and I was able to dig up some medium sized spuds for dinner.  Now even though I know I paid for the potatoes initially, it seemed that I was able to grow FREE potatoes, my logic being that if I hadn’t stuck them in some soil, they would have just been thrown away.

Well, back to my buzzing around the ‘net, I read about sticking the root end of green onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, and even celery into growing medium to get in effect a re-incarnation of the original plant.  Now, I know people have been doing this for years, it’s just that I hadn’t so when something like this works for me, I get really stoked! 


My former neighbor used to get pineapples to regrow from the tops, and even though I have tried a few dozen pineapple tops, I’ve just not hit the right culture with them to get those scrumptious tropical babies to regrow for me.  Never fear, I’ll keep trying to get those babies to grow in My Central Florida Garden… along with my green onions, garlic, potatoes, and celery.  

No comments: