Friday, February 12, 2010

Feb 12 2010
After the hard freeze, we had to take all the citrus fruits off the trees and find uses for them before the fruit began to deteriorate (call that spoil or rot). We juiced about 20 gallons of juice (ours are just baby trees) and froze it in quarts for future uses. The Orlando Tangelo gave us the most fruit; it is mild, sweet, not too acidic, and VERY juicy. I also made 18 jars of Marmalade, and about 4 pounds of Candied Orange Peel which we dutifully sent off to our testers across the country (read that as siblings and children from Florida to Californian and locales in between-they are spread out!). The Marmalade received rave reviews from even some who had staunchly claimed they did not like Marmalades. I used a very old and very simple recipe for it.

Surprisingly, some had never heard of Candied Orange Peel before and were understandably hesitant to try it, but they did try it. And to rave reviews to boot! Early feedback was that the “testers” thought it would be bitter and too chewy. But I had done my homework. I found another recipe several, several years old that included instructions on how to soak it prior to cooking to pull out much of the bitterness for which the peel’s pith is so well known.

Then, just to keep things fun, I dipped the Candied Orange Peels in 3 different candy coatings. Of course I used the obligatory Milk Chocolate, and the obvious Dark Bittersweet Chocolate. But the real surprise and ultimate star of the show was – TA-DA – BUTTERSCOTCH! I was hesitant to even try Butterscotch as a coating, but once I tried it, I was hooked. I included this unusual combination in the goodie packages sent to the testers, and to my great relief, the Butterscotch-Dipped Candied Orange Peel was a unanimous and resounding success straight from My Central Florida Garden. Now I know I can’t take ALL the credit for the fabulous results of the orange products. The real star of all this creating in the kitchen is the Orlando Tangelo with its beautiful bright orange skin and wonderful mild flavor.

No comments: