Friday, February 05, 2010

Larkspurs in Central Florida Gardens

Larkspur, it seems, does not like to be transplanted. That’s something I just read. It’s a really great flower for back-of-border areas as it is a tall-grower. Here in Central Florida, the bright-white sun will fade out all but the MOST vibrant colors in the flower beds, but I have that high, bright shade cast by the tall pines, so maybe I’ll get away with the English cottage garden look, during the spring anyway. Larkspurs are called the “annual Delphinium” and are used frequently by florists in arrangements when they need a tall spiky flower.

Now, as I mentioned a few days back, I had planted some Larkspur seeds in one of my start trays, but given this new information of them not liking to be moved, I’m going to try just scratching the surface soil in one of the areas that will get only very, very late afternoon sun and has a fairly rich and is just lightly moist. IF some of the seeds happen to germinate in the seed starters (I use old trays we received plant liners in and put in my own sterile seed starting mix), I’ll get them into the garden in a special test spot so I can easily keep tabs on which Larkspurs do better: the seeds sown directly on the scratched-up soil, or the seeds germinated in the liner trays and then planted in the garden. More to come on this little test, I’m sure.

No comments: